JONAS HARTWAY ILLUSTRATION

Work That Inspires Me

James Jean Tiger
Tiger III, James Jean, 2014.
The Kiss Gustav Klimt
The Kiss, Gustav Klimt, 1907-1908
J.C. Leyendecker Ad. for Arrow Collar Shirts
J.C. Leyendecker, Ad. for Arrow Collar Shirts,

Early Life

I was raised in the small rural town of Medina New York. I grew up with a large interest in art and was drawing all the time. I was particularly timid and not at all very athletic, but I thoroughly enjoyed learning and being creative.

Background

As an artist for most of my life up until college my skills were mostly self taught, being raised in a small town meant little to no interests in the arts in the school system. However my father was painter and thus I had some instruction through him. I was encouraged to follow a creative path by family and teachers. I work mostly traditionally through drawing and watercolor or gouache, but I also work digitally as well.

Creative Influences

My creative influences vary greatly. However being an illustrator most of my influences are other illustrators or animators.Golden age illustrators like J.C. Leyendecker and Norman Rockwell as well as contemporary illustrators like James Jean, Eric Fortune, and Edwin Ushiro, inspire me. Much of my childhood I enjoyed anime, so that also influenced my style greatly. I am inspired by other forms of creation such as fashion design or graphic design, I'm attracted to the simple and elegant, modern yet natural.

Interests Hobbies

Im very interested languages, astronomy, and physics, as well as science fiction and such. I enjoy devoting hours to reading as well. Despite being an uncoordinated child, I enjoy being active now through running, swimming, and yoga. I am also discovering my own path into Buddhism.